Use of Nasonex in the treatment of Stuffy nose

Patient: Hello I do not suffer from allergies, but about 11 days ago I had the flu symptoms, sore throat, body aches and stuffy nose, the symptoms went away fast except my stuffy nose, I went to the Doctor yesterday and she told me I had inflammation on the nostrils and prescribed NASONEX, which is for allergies, I just don’t know why she would prescribe that?

Doctor: Nasonex is a corticosteroid nasal spray is used to treat seasonal or perennial allergic rhinitis in adults and children . It is also used to treat acute sinusitis. Even though nasonex is used in the treatment of allergic symptoms, your doctor would have prescribed it because nasonex also helps to reduce swelling and inflammation in the nasal passages. This will relieve associated  symptoms such as stuffy nose, runny nose, itching, and sneezing.