Use of Sanitizer and Protective Gloves

Q: I have recently started wearing gloves as a cashier at a grocery store and getting flack for it. I cut myself constantly and my skin splits by my nails and I don't want wet chicken drippings, etc to get into these cuts...not to mention dirty money etc. We have sanitizer to use but it stings when it gets into the cuts. Have recently come to learn that we should not be using sanitizer when handling receipts because of the BPA and the absorption into the skin. We are not able to wash our hands with soap and water after every customer. Is there harm in meat drippings getting into my cuts and should we be using sanitizer when handling receipts?

A:   Hand sanitizers work by killing microbial cells. It’s based on the use of 70 per cent isopropanol alcohol, which is rubbing alcohol and moisturizer to keep the skin moist. Hand sanitizers does not contain BPA and is completely safe. If the use of gloves is not recommended in work, using sanitizers is the next best option because it destroys 100% of the germs and viruses that you may come into contact.