Using Formula and Breast Milk Together.

Patient

Q: Hi, I was just curious, are you able to give a baby formula and breast milk (not in the same bottle) as long as they like it? or do you have to choose just 1? Thanks would really appreciate it if you could tell me.

Doctor

A:   It is perfectly okay to give both.
Many mothers do if they can not express enough milk to support their baby's needs or their schedule does not allow them to be with their child for all feedings.  If you do decide to use both formula and breast milk, please use only one type of formula your child likes and only one type of nipple other than your breast.  Also, do not mix the breast milk  with the formula in the same bottle.  This will help to avoid confusion for the baby.
Babies that are receiving breast milk often require vitamin D supplementation. Please speak to your doctor is this is suitable for your child.