Using hair dye with Alopecia Areata

Patient

Q: Hi I have Alopecia Areata and my question is, if you can use things like hair dye when you have alopecia areata, or if using hair dye would affect it.

Doctor

A:   Alopecia areata is common presentation of nonscarring alopecia and is considered an autoimmune disorder where the immune system of the body mistakenly destroys the hair follicles. Most of the time if the involved area is small, the hair follicles regrow on their own. Treatment options include corticosteroid creams or injections, topical immunotherapy, topical minoxidil and uv light therapy. There is no evidence that use of hair dyes worsens the condition of alopecia.