Using Norethisterone and Microgynon to treat Implanon bleeding

Patient

Q: I was prescribed Norethisterone to help regularize my periods after a year of using Implanon and months of painful heavy bleeding. I completed a 10 day course 5 days ago, and have had extremely heavy bleeding for the past 2 days. Is this normal, and how long is it likely to last? I was also given a 3 month prescription of Microgynon to take if the Norethisterone didn't work. Should I begin taking this now or do I need to wait, and if the latter, how long for? Thanks for your help.

Doctor

A:   This is normal as you are having the normal withdrawal bleed. However if it continues or becomes heavier you need to take the microgynon and consult your gynecologist in person for further discussion of management.All the best.