Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Uterine fibroids and a history of breast cancer

Uterine fibroids and a history of breast cancer

Patient: I have a large fibroid that has grown from 7cm to 9cm over the last 18 months. I also have a history of breast cancer, and am currently taking Tamoxifen. What are my best options for dealing with the fibroids?

Doctor: Treatment for uterine fibroids depends mainly on the symptoms associated with them and the age of the patient. Fibroids which cause symptoms are best dealt with by surgical removal unless the patient is near menopause. Menopause causes a significant decrease in estrogen which the fibroid needs to grow and as such fibroids usually regress after menopause with surgical intervention. For women who are not near menopause then surgery is the best treatment option. In your case, if you are fit for surgery and your fibroid causes symptoms then surgical removal is indicated.