x
90 Physicians Online

Question:

Uterine growth and swelling of the extremities

I feel kind of stupid asking this but, I am a mother of three, and I recently noticed what I think is my uterus has grown close to an inch. As far as I know I am not pregnant. I am due for my period on Friday. I am also having swelling in my fingers and ankles. I just started birth control pills three weeks ago. I am wondering if this is normal or something I should be concerned with. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I noticed the growth took place in the last month.

Answer:

I do understand your concern. Though it's difficult to say what could be the cause based on history alone, the possibility of a uterine fibroid needs to be looked into. Uterine fibroids are frequently found incidentally during a routine pelvic exam. Your doctor may feel irregularities in the shape of your uterus, suggesting the presence of fibroids. If confirmation is needed, your doctor may obtain an ultrasound. The swelling that you are experiencing may be due to the birth control pill, however a complete blood count, hemoglobin and renal functions tests should be done to rule out swelling due to anemia and kidney problems

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.