Uterine Rupture

Patient

Q: What are the chances of uterine rupture , if you were to become pregnant , 3 months after having a previous c-section? thank you

Doctor

A:   The uterus is very, very unlikely to rupture, despite previous c-section, from pregnancy alone. Uterine rupture is most likely to occur during labor when the pressure placed on the uterus may cause scar tissue to break. More often than not obstetricians will prefer to deliver the baby via a repeat c-section rather than allowing the patient to go into full labor. This is done to prevent the potential life-threatening complication of uterine rupture.
There are other risk factors for uterine rupture including, use instruments during delivery, number of previous full term pregnancies as well as the use of drugs to augment labor.