UTI in elderly man Causes confusion

Patient : My husband, age 75, is in rehab for swallow therapy. He is now able to eat with therapist. He has recovered from sepsis and pneumonia he got in November. He recently got a urinary tract infection which has made him confused. He is getting keflex 3x day which is supposed to kill the particular bacteria infecting him. How long is a normal recovery time for a man his age? The confusion is so upsetting. He has been taking keflex 4 days now.
Symptoms:  Confusion, excess urination
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. UTIs in elderly men can be very seri ous and the recovery takes longer than usual patients. Since he also recently had Pneumonia and sepsis, the recovery is expected to take longer. He needs to take the medicines for at least a week or 10 days to see positive effects. Make sure he is drinking enough water, a minimum of 3-4 liters is recommended. If he is also experiencing burning urination, then cranberry juice without sugar can be given to decrease the associated irritation. The Physician will repeat the urine routine and culture after a week. He should recover by then. Hope this was helpful, Regards