UTI or Yeast Infection

Patient

Q: How do I know if I have a Urinary Track Infection or a Yeast Infection? I prefer not to go to the doctor, what should I do? I have UTI medication left from recently having a UTI.

Doctor

A:   It can be difficult to tell sometimes and you may even have both.
A urinary tract infection can easily be detected by a urinary dip stick performed at your doctors office.  The urine is also sent for microbiology testing to identify the exact organism and its susceptibility to antibiotics but treatment can often be initiated before you leave the office.
A yeast infection is often diagnosed by history. Symptoms include a white, itchy, odorless vaginal discharge.  If your doctor is unsure or there are other things in your history that concern your doctor, he or she may decide to do vaginal swabs to rule out bacterial vaginosis or STD's.  If a yeast infection is confirmed, it can be treated with over the counter creams or a prescription pill.
Lastly, I would not initiate treatment on your own as antibiotics can be the cause of yeast infections or make existing yeast infections worse.  Furthermore, it is possible that you have both infections at the same time.  I strongly suggest you visit your doctor.