Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vagina pains during and after sex

Vagina pains during and after sex

Patient: Hello,I am experiencing uncomfortable pain during sex and afterwards. I am experiencing pain that i have never come across before with my partner and it’s beginning to worry me. I am properly lubricated and have no STDS, but I am on some meds such as the pill and also sertraline, could this be effecting it? Intercourse hurts at first despite plenty of foreplay and is rather uncomfortable to the point at times I have to ask my partner to stop. The pain is stinging/burning when I pee and it lasts for a day or two. Any advice/help? Thanks

Symptoms: Sex, Burning when peeing, vagina

Doctor: Hello,If you have started experiencing the pain during intercourse recently even after adequate foreplay and it sting s while urination and causes burning then there is a possibility of being suffering from vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is a bacterial infection and can present with thin homogenous transparent discharge with mild odour. This can secondary lead to urinary tract infection which presents with burning and stinging while urination. So it is suggested that you visit your physician for a local per speculum examination and a high vaginal swab for culture and a urine culture test to isolate the causative organisms and look for characteristic clue cells on smear. Once confirmed they can be treated with a course of antibiotics for a week but you have to avoid sexual activity till the course is completed and your repeat culture is negative.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards