Vaginal bleeding after ectopic pregnancy surgery

Q: Dear Doctor I was pregnent, however since my bf wasnt ready i had to abort the baby. To my bad luck right after 2 3 weeks of my abortion i was one night suddenly admitted to the hospital. I had an ectopic surgery 1 month back and my right side of the fallopian tube was cut by 3 inches. However right after the surgery, probably after a week of the surgery i have begun bleeding, for couple of days the bleeding was normal, however now it seems that i have begun to bleed like i am mensurating , which has been almost a month. Is it normal?

A:   When you became pregnant the lining of the womb (uterus) increased in size in anticipation of the fetus (unborn baby). When you underwent surgery to remove the ectopic pregnancy the lining of the womb breaks down a few days later resulting in the bleeding you experienced a week after surgery. This bleeding should not last more than five to seven days. Bleeding  which continues for one month is not normal . You should return to your gynecologist as soon as possible as you may need injections or tablets to stop the bleeding.