Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vaginal bleeding and cervix bruising

Vaginal bleeding and cervix bruising

Patient: I’m currently on the Nuva ring and I don’t bleed or feel pain at all. But during intercourse I bleed and as soon as we stop and I clean up, the bleeding stops. I’ve went and seen my family doctor, she said my cervix is bruised all around and when a swob was done she could see that it was irritated by it. What does this mean? Why does it bruise and bleed?

Symptoms: Bleeding and bruising

Doctor: Hello,This is possibly due to cervical erosions or ectopy or possible ill fitting size of NUVA-RING being used which causes frictional injury to the cerrvix causing abrasions which bleed during deeper penetration and frictional injury by penile head.It is advisable that a PAP smear should be done to rule out HPV infection being cause of cervical ectopy and avoid usage of NUVA ring for at least 3 months till healing is accomplished . You may use depot injections or implants which are inert.I hope i have answered your query,wishing you good health,regards