Vaginal contraceptive

Patient : Am 25year old recently married.i use vaginal contraceptive TODAY which has NONOXYL-9.is it safe?
Symptoms:  No such
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. Today contains NONOXYL9 and it is vaginal sponge acting as a barrier contraceptive.It is quite safe. It has its own contraindications. Avoid it if you are allergic to sulfites, if you have a partner with STD it is unlikely to protect you from it, it must not be used during menses and it may cause toxic shock syndrome which is rare , but may be life threatening. Avoid it if you have a history of toxic shock syndrome. Watch for pain abdomen, fever, nausea, vomiting when on this contraception, if you develop these, remove the sponge and see a doctor soon.Though it is a safe contraceptib=ve, the ideal contraceptive for a newly married couple is OCP pills. They are safe and more effective. Consider discussing this option with your gynecologist and if you have no contraindications to them, you may switch over to pills. Hope this helped Regards