Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vaginal discharge and birth control

Vaginal discharge and birth control

Patient: What does it mean when you have a dark brown/ white discharge in your underwear? I am currently on birth control pills and I did a pregnancy test before taking the pills and it came out negative.

Symptoms: Vaginal discharge

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Birth control pills can cause breakthrough spotting and incr eased vaginal discharge as side effects.So, the symptoms you are having could be side effects of pills.And usually these will subside soon without the need of treatment.If the spotting persists you can take the support of antifibrinolytic drugs or an additional dose of hormones to control the spotting with your doctor’s advice.Hope this helps. aTake care.