Vaginal dryness and skin on clitoris peeling

Patient

Q: I have been having a white substance coating my vaginal area and a burning sensation, used 3 day thrush treatment but did not seem to have any results, recently I have been having an itchy burning feeling around my vaginal opening and have just noticed the skin on my clitoris seems to be peeling. I have an untreated problem with unable to stay lubricated during sexual activity and rubbing on my clitoris because of this. could this all be related? if not what could this be?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. What you have described seems to be a yeast infection. It may not have adequately responded to the three day antifungal treatment which you tried. However, we recommend that you have your doctor examine this rash as well as take a sample of the discharge to be tested for the causative agent of this infection. It is possible that you will need a stronger prescription anti-fungal cream along with oral medication, for a longer course, to treat this adequately. Furthermore, the vaginal dryness you are experiencing is likely due to this yeast infection. It will likely resolve without complication after you are treated.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com