Vaginal dryness at the time of making sex

Q: Good morning doctor. I'm from south Asia. My problem is when i make intercourse with my husband, i feel my vagina is so dry. After much foreplay it remains dry. That's why it is very painful to make a intercourse. please give proper advice to get rid of this problem. Thank you. Brishti

A:   I understand how concerned you are about vaginal dryness. Vaginal dryness is a common problem for women during and after menopause, although inadequate vaginal lubrication can occur at any age.
Vaginal dryness can make intercourse uncomfortable. Most vaginal lubrication consists of clear fluid that seeps through the walls of the blood vessels encircling the vagina. When you're sexually aroused, more blood flows to your pelvic organs, creating more lubricating vaginal fluid.
Reduced estrogen levels are the main cause of vaginal dryness. Estrogen, a female hormone, helps keep vaginal tissue healthy by maintaining normal vaginal lubrication, tissue elasticity and acidity. Hormonal changes of menopause, childbirth and breast-feeding may disrupt this process and alter your estrogen levels.
According to your medical history, you recently give birth and this may be the cause of your dryness, certainly this condition would regress on its own approximately in no more than 3 more months, however you could consult your physician about the use of vaginal estrogen creams that might help you. I wish you the best.

Guest: I have written a blog post on this that many women found worthwhile. Here is the link.