Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vaginal infection/UTI

Vaginal infection/UTI

Patient: I’ve had bad smelling, brownish colored vaginal discharge for about two weeks, and now have a UTI. What should I do??

Symptoms: Bad smell, pain when urinating, brownish colored discharge

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Looks like you are having vaginitis and an UTI as well.They can co-exist. You need to s ee a Gynecologist. The Doctor would wish to do a high vaginal swab test for culture and also a urine culture. Based on the reports an antibiotic would be started. Your partner may also need an evaluation and treatment. Avoid unprotected intercourse till you are completely cured of symptoms. Drink plenty of water daily and also maintain sanitary hygiene.Hope this helped.Regards