Vaginal Infections and Stuck tampons and Fertility

Patient

Q: If a doctor is doing a pap smear can they tell if you have a tampon stuck up there? My fear started about almost 3 weeks ago. Then I went to the doctor. I forgot to mention my fear to the doctor while there. I did however receive test results that say I have a infection. I am trying to get pregnant with my husband and I want to know if this is a very serious situation and if it will effect my fertility?? Please help I am very worried!!

Doctor

A:   A doctor usually performs an examination before and after taking the pap smear, so it is nearly impossible that a tampoon would go unnoticed if it had been stuck up there. Vaginal or pelvic Infection is treatable with antibiotics and if detected early, before the development of any further complications occur, it is completely curable leaving no impact on your fertility. In the event that you do not finish the complete course of medications prescribed for the infection, some of the infection may remain uncleared  and may recur possibly producing severe complications.

A doctor usually performs an examination before and after taking the pap smear, so it is nearly impossible that a tampoon would go unnoticed if it had been stuck up there. Infection is treatable with antibiotics and if detected early, before the development of any further complications occur, it is completely curable leaving no impact on your fertility. In the event that you do not finish the complete course of medications prescribed for the infection, some of the infection may remain uncleared  and may recur possibly producing severe complications.