Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vaginal mucous with blood stripe

Vaginal mucous with blood stripe

Patient: Hi, I am 29years old. I have been trying to conceive for the pass 6 months. Yesterday,29th March, I have a huge glob of vaginal discharge (transparent in nature) with a dark brown blood stripe in it, 2 episodes. The last intercourse was 4 days ago. Then today,30th March, same vaginal discharge with brown blood stripe. My last menses was on 13th March 2012. According to the ovulation calendar, my ovulation will be on 1st April. Is this a sign of ovulation? I have never had this before and this is the first time I encounter such. Should I seek for further investigation at the clinic?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Vaginal discharge and spotting around the time of ovulation is very common. When an egg is released from the ovary, the rupture of the graffian follicle in which it was once encapsulated, may cause minor bleeding, which can present in vaginal discharge. Your clear vaginal discharge may be due to the hormonal fluctuations that are associated with the menstrual cycle. Since this is your first time experiencing this it is possible that you will need to be examined by your doctor to make sure there are no other causes for this discharge. This is more as a precautionary measure in order to rule out any serious complications. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com