Vaginal pain during sex

Q: My wife and I were separated for a little over 2 years. She has not had sex for almost 3 years. We are back together but sex causes her pain. She said since its been so long, her vagina needs to be stretched. Is this true? If so, how can we do it? What is causing her pain

Symptoms:  Vaginal pain during sex

A:   Hi,
Pain during intercourse can be seen due to causes like disparity between genital organs, vaginal infection, loss of lubrication, psychological stress etc.
As previously you both didn't have this problem, now psychological stress, age related loss of lubrication and dryness can be the causes.
If she is having the pain repeatedly better to get examined.
So, let her consult your doctor once and get examined. By examination the length and width of the vagina can be make out and vaginal infection can be ruled out.
In case, of small vaginal opening, procedures like dilatation can help.
In case of vaginal infection, it can be treated with antibiotics which can help in decreasing pain.
If no abnormality detected, using simple lubrication cream can help in relieving the pain.
These can relieve her psychological stress also.
Take care.