Vaginal skin hanging down

Patient

Q: My boyfriend and i had a bit of rough sex the other night now it hurt to touch down there and i took a mirror to it and it looks like a piece of skin is hanging should i be worried and go to a doctor right away or will it heal by itself

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. From your description we are unable to tell whether if what you are observing is due to swelling of the labia majora of your vagina or if there was a traumatic tear from sexual intercourse. For this reason, we would strongly recommend that you self examine carefully to see if there is any cuts, lacerations, or bleeding where you noticed this. If you see this, please have your doctor examine it to determine if you require further treatment. If it is simple swelling, then it will likely resolve without complication in a few days.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com