Valtrex prescribed after a rape with no evidence?

Q: My friend, who I have had sex with, was raped in April. She said she went to the hospital and had a full battery of tests done to be sure she was clean. They all came back negative, but then I found a bottle of Valtrex in her cabinet. She claims the doctor prescribed them because of the rape but she didn't have to take them anymore. What do you think!?!?

A:   This medication is used is used to treat herpes zoster (shingles) and genital herpes. It does not cure herpes infections but decreases pain and itching, helps sores to heal, and prevents new ones from forming.
This medication is also prescribed in cases of rape as a prophylactic and does not necessarily mean that she has the virus in her body.