Varicocele and Erectile Dysfunction

Q: Hi there,

I am 21 years old and have a bilateral varicocele. I have been experiencing erection problems (can get erection with stimulation but difficult to maintain) and have not had morning erections for a while (being more than a year or two possibly). I had a varicocele on the left side probably grade two for a number of years, which then turned into a bilateral varicocele last year due to an injury.

My sex drive has diminished to nothing since the injury and have experienced a loss in sensitivity when stimulated. I have also noticed that I have become very unmotivated, gained some weight due to lack of exercise (exercise causes a great deal of pain in scrotum during the night of a work-out and the following few days), have a lack of energy, weak immune system (have been ill 5, 6 or maybe 7 times in the last year), decreased muscle mass, depression and have had hair loss (most likely male pattern baldness but started roughly the same time as varicocele).

Could this be due to the bilateral varicocele lowering testosterone levels and causing a hormone imbalance?

Many thanks, Ed