Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vein removal while pregnant.

Vein removal while pregnant.

Patient: My wife had procedure to remove varicose veins. She was 2 weeks out from when we now know was conception of child making her about a month pregnant when she had the procedures. We didn’t know she was pregnant. Is there need for concern due to the procedures for the baby?

Symptoms: Pregnant

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.The possible effects on the baby depends on the drugs used du ring and after procedure, the type of anesthesia used etc.Now better to have regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to detect any possible abnormality at the earliest.Dating scan at around 11 weeks and TIFFA (Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 20 weeks and quadruple blood test for mother at around 18 weeks help in detecting possible anomalies to some extent.Take care.