Very afraid of having diabetes

Patient

Q: I woke up this morning with my hands swollen, numb and tingly. the symptoms have last for 2 hours. however the effect is less. could I possibly have diabetes?

Symptoms:  Numb, swollen and tingly
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is caused by damage to the nerves of the extremities from years of unmanaged diabetes. If you awoke with this feeling suddenly, then it may be you slept in a position which obstructed blood supply to hands leading to this numbness in your hand which is wearing off. Should these symptoms continue without improvement please go to your doctor to be examined.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com