Very Easliy Startled with Exaggerated Response

Patient

Q: Hello,
whenever I hear a loud(ish) noise or someone touches me and I'm not expecting it (even sometime when I am expecting it--I scared myself once by turning on the lights in my apartment) I have a very exaggerated response. I almost always jump, even if I'm sitting (and if I'm sitting my arms move all over the place--kind of like I'm swatting away bugs)and if I'm standing (I know this will sound funny) I will jump into a karate-type position, and I've never taken karate. I also almost always make some kind of loud noise that indicates how startled I was--sometimes I even scream.
I wasn't always like this--from what I remember, I think it started when I was about 13 or 14 (I'm 25 now) and it seems to keep getting worse. I'm not epileptic and it's not a thyroid problem (I get my thyroid checked because of the Lithium that I take for my Bipolar. I also didn't experience any trauma that would cause anything like this.
I don't know if my sense of hearing and touch are just highly acute or if this could be neurological (because it's definitely getting worse).
I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me, although without seeing it for yourself...I don't know if you can tell me anything. So far this has only just been really embarrassing for me when it happens in public (all the time) and I just want to know if there's anything I can do because I'm a little worried that getting scared all the time bad for my heart.
Thank You.

Doctor