Very sore biceps in the morning

Patient

Q: Hi there I have been waking up in the morning with really sore biceps and it really hurts when I try to strighten my arms this lasts for about 2-3 hours and then it fades away. this has been happening for about 2-3 months now and at times it is very sore to straighten both my arms i have to take panadol nurofen or voltaran can you help ps its not from doing excercises!!!

Doctor

A:   Generally Biceps pain is attributed to problems with the shoulder joint, elbow joint, or the bicep muscle itself. The Biceps is a split muscle that works in isolation and assists your back muscles. The primary action is to flex, or bend your elbow, bringing your forearm toward your upper arm. In addition, your biceps help your back pull things toward you and helps lift your upper arm. A secondary bicep movement is to turn your wrist bringing your palm up. The most common cause of biceps pain is the soreness after training, in your case you should review if during your work you are using repetitively your biceps and this is causing the soreness. The other common cause is cramps; this has to do with dehydration and also may occur with improper use of the muscle during your daily activities, also trying to lift heavy objects may cause a biceps tendinitis. Biceps tendonitis exercises such as biceps curl, rotator cable lift and certain stretching exercises can also contribute to restore flexibility to the muscles. On the whole, if biceps pain does not subside with the standard treatment by taking rest or medications, I suggest an appointment with a doctor for a comprehensive evaluation to determine which procedure is necessary for definitive treatment.