x
151 Physicians Online

Question:

Vesicular and itchy rash in the lower legs

I have water blisters that comes on the front shin,sides, calves itches real bad burns on both legs i am overweight with bad knees lowers back problems so i cant walk and exercise properly

Answer:

Most likely you may be experiencing a bacterial infection of the upper layers of the skin called Impetigo caused by streptococcus or Staphylococcus bacteria. The most common form of impetigo often occurs on the face or limbs, and is known for its "honey-colored" crust. This crust often looks like small blisters. Impetigo is often diagnosed clinically, based on the characteristic appearance. However, because impetigo can be confused with several other skin conditions, certain tests may be needed to make the diagnosis. The most common diagnostic tests performed are a gram stain or bacterial culture obtained by swabbing the base of a lesion with a cotton swab. The treatment is with topical antibiotics applied to the area until the lesion is gone. Sometimes in more severe cases oral antibiotics are required.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.