Viable pregnancy? - no fetal pole and no yolk sac.

Patient

Q: I'm 5wks and just had an ultrasound doctor told me i have no fetal pole and no yolk sack, i'm experiencing mild cramps and back pain, my only pregnancy symptom is breast tenderness no mornining sickness . she told me bed rest for a few day and come back, i'm worried sick its not a viable pregnancy. this is would be my third. Like Reply

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern about a viable pregnancy but wouldn't be worried just yet. The most common cause of absence of fetal pole and yolk sac is getting the dates wrong. I would advise you wait and watch and hopefully an ultrasound in a couple of days may show positive results. Another way to predict a viable pregnancy is by monitoring the rise of the beta HCG levels. I hope I could be of some help, I wish you all the best.