Viral Meningitis contagious?

Patient: My cousin just told me yesterday that she just came home from the hospital for viral meningitis. she was given antiviral meds and told to not return to work until after Friday. we have a joint birthday party for our one year old babies this sunday. there will be over 60 people and about 20 kids. she would like to keep this party as scheduled but I feel it should be rescheduled to the following sunday as a precaution and not put our guests at risk. i know there are preventive measures she can take like washing hands, etc, but I’m still nervous. what you do suggest? safer to reschedule?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We recommend that you ere on the side of caution and reschedule to the following week. Vira l meningitis is a serious illness especially if children are infected. It is great that proper infection control is being practiced however, there will still be a risk of transmission to the guests if the function happens so soon.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com