Vit d deficiency/high phosphorus

Patient

Q: I have a vitamin d deficiency (16) & when I take supp., my phosphorus is elevated.?(4.7) I have no kidney function issues . creat., gfr is normal how do achieve a balance?

Symptoms:  No s&s
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The metabolism of vitamin D is directly related to the metabolism of calcium and phosphorus and your vitamin D deficiency and subsequent supplementation is probably causing your phosphate levels to increase. Your phosphate levels are mildly elevated but may increase if you are overdosing on vitamin D. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to have your vitamin D levels retested to determine if you are taking too much vitamin D. You may need to have your dose decreased or stopped.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com