Vitamin D/Calcium Topical Patch

Q: I am Vit D deficient and do not absorb it thorugh my digestive tract because of Gastric Bypass surgery. I tanned and that worked well until I found cancer and now am looking for a patch that will give me the vitamin I need. Is there an effective Vitamin D patch?

A:    Vitamin D deficiency is common after gastric bypass surgery, and many patients have low levels prior to surgery. Vitamin D deficiency further exacerbates calcium malabsorption, causing an increase in parathyroid hormone (PTH) and, eventually, osteoporosis in postsurgery patients. Dietary sources of vitamin D include some fatty fish (such as mackerel, salmon, sardines), fish liver oils, and eggs. In the U S, certain foods are fortified with vitamin D, including milk, infant formula, orange juice, and some cereals. Currently, most authors recommend supplementing postgastric bypass patients with at least 800-1,200 IU of vitamin D and at least 1,200-1,800 mg of calcium citrate daily. The Vitamin D patch offers the healthy benefits of Vitamin D without the dangers of the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Since adequate sun exposure is not always easy or safe, as in your particular case, the Vitamin D/Calcium Topical Patch allows you to overcome the Vitamin D deficiency due to the gastric bypass. When Calcium is applied as a supplement with the Vitamin D, it helps promote healthy bone growth and maintenance.