Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > VItamin D Deficiency General Information

VItamin D Deficiency General Information

Patient: Hello, I got some bloodwork done last week and it always seems my Vitamin D levels are low. Every time I am tested for it, it is lower and lower, despite my daily regimen which I continue with for between 1-3 months. I was at one point allergic to dairy and appear to have grown out of the allergy, but have an aversion to most dairy products. Perhaps this has something to do with it? But anyway, I am wondering what does Vitamin D deficiency even mean? My doctor’s nurse told me I was 9, not sure of the measurement. Just curious as to what low Vitamin D entails and how to keep it up?

Doctor: Vitamin is a fat soluble vitamin that is essential for healthy bones in the body, the other functions include cell growt h, neuromuscular and immune function. The deficiency of Vitamin D may lead to osteoporosis/rickets, hyperparathyroidism, obesity and depression. Vitamin D is obtained from diet as well as from exposure to direct sunlight. The serum concentration of  25-hydroxyvitamin D best reflects the levels of vitamin D in the body. A value less than 50 nmol/L indicated vitamin D deficiency. The adult dosage of VitaminD is around 600 IU.