Vitamin D deficiency test for the elderly

Patient : My 80 year old mother lives alone, and rarely gets out, she has complained about dizzy turns just lately and has had one fall. She sees her G.P and Cardiologist fairly frequently and has no heart problems. I suggested to her that perhaps she is suffering from vitamin D deficiency and that is it a fairly simple test to find out if that is the case, and very easy to remedy if it turns out she is indeed deficient. She recently had a series of routine blood tests to measure her cholesterol levels and also calcium, sodium potassium, creatinine, liver function test etc. I asked my mother to ask the GP for a vitamin D and B6 and B12 measurement at that time. When the results came back the GP said that the numbers were "fine" When asked for the actual levels of vitamin D, and if in fact they had been measured, the GP got a little flustered and replied that everything was fine and that the vitamin levels are expressed in the other blood fractions mentioned above. My question is, is what the GP said true? Does a routine and somewhat limited standard blood test for cholesterol levels accurately determine vitamin D levels? Or does a measurement of vitamin D deficiency require a specific test? I have read on the web that a 25-hydroxyvitamin D, or 25(OH)D, test is required to specifically determine if there is vitamin D deficiency. thank you in advance for any replies on this topic. Chris
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: Hello Doctor, Good Day! Age: 3o Years, Female (Lab report from: Yenepoya Specialty Hospital, Mangalore) V...

Q: For about 5 days now I have been experiencing an burning sensation in my left ankle. At times I will feel it in both ...

Q: Hi Guys, I have been looking for answers for the last 3 years on this problem- but have failed at every...

Q: For a few months now, I have experience an odd but mild burning sensation in my groin and upper thigh area. I thought...

Q: I just took too much metronidazole by accident. is there anything I can take to dissipate the antibiotic? I just took...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon