Ask The Doctor > Pending > Vitamin Deficiency and Pernicious Anemia

Vitamin Deficiency and Pernicious Anemia

Patient: I was diagnosed with a Vitamin B12 deficiency in 2009 after a visit to a gastroenterologist for a suspected intestinal problem. I was referred to my family doc to start treatment of the B12 deficiency. My family doc wrote pernicious anemia on the diagnosis section of the check out slip. I have had no further diagnostic tests performed to confirm the pernicious anemia diagnosis. Even though I still continue my monthly B12 injections and my level has remained normal, I still have issues (fatigue, hair loss, mental fog, forgetfulness, problems with exercise, etc). My hemoglobin levels have always been normal. What are my chances that I do have pernicious anemia or could it just be anemia? Or could this be something completely different? Thank you.

Doctor: