Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Vitamine D Deficency and Dosage

Vitamine D Deficency and Dosage

Patient: Just had blood work done and my Vit D came back low – at 19 ng/ml. How much Vit D should I be taking? I just started taking D3 5,000 IUs, is that too much?

Doctor: Vitamin D levels can be low due to a number of reasons: inadequate intake in diet and inadequate sunlight (UVB) exposure ; poor absorption from the gastrointestinal tract; liver or kidney disorders and rarely, it may be a hereditary disorder. The preferred range of Vitamin D blood levels is 30-60ng/ml, although laboratories may vary slightly. If deficient you may take up to 10,000IU/day or if you have a malabsorption disorder, you make take up to 50,000IU of Vitamin D2 every day or every other day. After 8 weeks on your current regimen, I advise you get your levels rechecked with your family doctor, and if normal, you could decrease or stop supplementation.