Vivotif Oral typhoid Vaccine taken too late

Patient: I am leaving on a trip to Nicaragua 1/8 and I should be done with the oral typhoid medication one week before I leave. However, I will not be done 1 week prior to leaving the country and I was wondering if there were any risks in taking the medication too late. Thank you!

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hello,The Vivotif typhoid oral vaccine is given in a series of 4 capsules that are taken 1 per day on alternating day s (days 1, 3, 5, and 7). On this alternating-day schedule, you will take 1 capsule every 48 hours for 7 days. So even if you have started once and are sure that you wont be able to complete the course before leaving the country still it is advisable that you should complete the course as scheduled to maintain the immunity by not missing the booster doses.So you may continue to complete it even if you reach the other country of travel and you shall not be infected.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards