Vomiting during Pregnancy - What is The Cause?

Q: My girlfriend is 5.5 weeks pregnant. We had dinner last night and she ate the salmon. Later on that night she complained of pain and became nauseated. She is feeling better now after an epic night but we are wondering if this could have had anything to do with the baby?

A:   Nausea and vomiting commonly occurs between 5-18 weeks of pregnancy, this is often termed as "morning sickness", the severity of these symptoms can vary. If the nausea and vomiting is increased in severity, your girlfriend may need to see her doctor to rule out hyperemesis gravidarum.
The cause of pregnancy-related nausea and vomiting is not clear. Increased hormone levels, slowed movement of the stomach contents, and psychological factors are among the more common theories. If your girlfriend has mild to moderate nausea and vomiting, she does not need to see a healthcare provider for treatment.
Severe cases of nausea, vomiting ( repeatedly throughout the day), abdominal pain and cramping and dehydration signs may require investigation. Treatment include dietary changes such as eating small meals, avoiding triggers such as perfume certain food (fish, red meat), maintaining adequate hydration and taking pre-natal vitamins. In certain cases a doctor may prescribe Diphenhydramine to control the nausea and vomiting.