Vomiting During Third Trimester

Patient: Im 7 months pregnant and ive been tjrowing up all day .ibe tried eating crackers and soup and sprjte and nothing stays down.also when I get up im dizzy too.how can I feel better

Doctor: Vomiting in the third trimester can cause a number of medical complication to the mother and baby and therefore prolonge d vomiting, should be assessed by your doctor or family physician. A common cause of vomiting during the third trimester is due to the growing uterus compressing the uterus causing symptoms of heartburn and nausea, which may lead to vomiting. Similarly, pregnancy can heighten a pregnant woman’s sensitivity to certain foods, especially spicy foods or other foods with strong flavors or odors, which can provoke nausea and vomiting. A number of common viral or bacteria infections, collectively known as gastroenteritis, can also cause nausea and vomiting. These are unrelated to pregnancy, but are quite common and can happen to anyone. Finally, vomiting can in rare cases be a symptoms of a serious pregnancy complication, called preeclampsia. This is a condition in which the blood pressure is elevated and other symptoms include headache, swelling in the feet, and seizures. This is a medical emergency which must be treated by your OB/GYN doctor. As always, it is never possible to arrive at an accurate diagnosis without being examined by a physician. You should discuss these symptoms with your physician as soon as possible.