x
77 Physicians Online

Question:

Vomiting large amounts of blood

Hi, my Dad 76 has been unwell for a few months, he's lost over 2 stone in weight. He has a lump in his neck which has been diagnosed as cancer, he has also had tests for lumps in his throat or oesophagus, he is waiting for the results, another week yet. He isn't eating anything other than a bowl of porridge for brteakfast which comes straight back up, he is also vomiting vast amounts of blood. Is there anything I could give him to build him up and shouldn't he be in hospital? Thank you in anticipation.

Answer:

Vomiting large amounts of blood needs an immediate intervention to prevent excessive blood loss, shock and other complications. If he is unable to take any food or liquids orally, he needs to receive tube feeding or parenteral nutrition. You may visit the emergency department of the hospital for early management of the condition.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.