Vomitting but no sign of Fever in a 9 year old.

Patient

Q: My 9 yr old daughter has been up all night throwing up about every 20 minutes. She has no fever. actually her temp is really low 96.1. She has lots of abdominal cramping and seems to only be throwing up mucus and stomach acid. Everything I have been reading says a fever goes with both the flu and food poisoning. We have had a traumatic recent loss in our family that may be attributing. Any idea of what this may be?

Doctor

A:   It is difficult to point out the cause of the vomiting but it is unlikely for it to be related to the traumatic events in the family. Severe vomiting may result in the loss of electrolytes especially potassium so it is important for you to take your daughter to her doctor for physical examination and further tests.  The vomiting and abdominal cramps may be due to gastroenteritis or food poisoning, but we may need to rule out meningitis as the cause of the vomiting. The treatment will depend on the cause and whether signs dehydration are present.