Waking up in the Middle of the night

Patient

Q: Hello. I have been waking up in the middle of the night multiple times for a while now. I'd say a few months. I fall asleep easily the first time and every other time, I just can't stay asleep which becomes troublesome and annoying. What can I do to sleep sounder? Thank you.

Symptoms:  Waking up in the middle of the night
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

You seem to be having problem in maintenance of sleep. It is advisable to follow all the steps of good sleep hygiene:
1) A warm water bath before going to sleep is recommended.
2) Avoid heavy dinners.
3) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there.
4) Have some aerobic workouts during the day preferably in the morning like walking or jogging.
5) Don’t try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy.
6) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason.
7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night.
8) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking.
9) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night.
If you still have a problem with your sleep then you may take extended release zolpidem for regaining your continuity of sleep for a few days, say 10 days, and then gradually get withdrawn from it.
Do meet your doctor and discuss these medicine options.

Hope this helps.
Wish you a good health.