Waking Up in the Middle of the Night with Back Pain

Patient

Q: Over the past week, I've had to wake up in the middle of the night due to severe back pain in my mid-back. I've had back problems for the past five years but have never experienced anything this painful. Usually my back pain is in the lower back and never in the middle of it. It feels like something is misaligned and that someone is poking something into my back. How do I solve this? I got a massage the other day and the pain went away for one night's sleep. But it's back again.

Symptoms:  Pain in middle of back. Hard to stretch it out. Like I'm being poked in the back. Hard to move around.
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask the Doctor" for posting your query.
I understand that you are suffering from pain in your mid back. There can be multiple reasons for back pain ranging from a simple muscle spasm to a degenerative disease of spine or prolapse disc. You need to get imaging (MRI) of your thoraco-lumbar spine for proper diagnosis. Appropriate treatment can then be planned accordingly. The medicines that would be useful in your case initially are analgesic medication with muscle relaxant such as ibuprofen with tizanidine or diclofenac with chlorzoxasone for symptomatic relief. With time you can get an MRI scan of the lumbo thoracic spine.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!