Waking up unable to breath

Patient

Q: For about two years now on and off I have awoken from sleep being unable to breath. This has happaned approximately 6 times now. I can not inhale or expel air for around 10 seconds or so. This only ever happens when I've been asleep. I have noticed that after I can breath again that there is a funny taste in my mouth. Sort of acidic onion. It gets worse too when I clear my throat. The first time this happened was the day I put my dog of 17 to sleep and the last time after a stressful day so I don't know if stress is a factor. The acid taste is not just exclusive to after I can breath. It can occur the next morning too. Perhaps unrelated but when washing my mouth out after brushing it can sometimes feel like I'm choking on the water. Don't like pressure on my throat either. In case of relevance I am a 33 year old female. Weighing about 15 stone. 5'6 in height. No other history of medical issues.

Symptoms:  Waking from sleep unable to breath
Acidic onion like taste in mouth. Especially when clearing throat.
Usually happens after stress during the day
Doctor