October 18, 2018

Want to quit after 15 years of smoking

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Want to quit after 15 years of smoking

Patient: I want to stop smoking.is there any drug which can help me.i am smoking since 15 years and i want to leave it.is there a chance that my lungs become 100% effective after quiting smoking.

Doctor: There are many proven ways to quit smoking including the nicotine patch, gum, lozenge or inhaler, used to replace some o f the nicotine you usually get from cigarettes. This can make nicotine withdrawal easier to manage. Drugs like bupropion and varenicline tartrate reduce your craving to smoke, and make smoking less enjoyable thus making it easier to quit. With a strong determination and support from family and friends it would be easier for you to successfully quit smoking. You may also go for expert counseling and join support groups for help. Reversing of the physical damage sustained over 15 years can begin as soon as smoking ends. However it may take up to 15 years after quitting, for your risks (diseases of the lung, heart and cancer) to drop to normal and lead a healthy life as a normal man who has never smoked.There are many proven ways to quit smoking including the nicotine patch, gum, lozenge or inhaler, used to replace some of the nicotine you usually get from cigarettes. This can make nicotine withdrawal easier to manage. Drugs like bupropion and varenicline tartrate reduce your craving to smoke, and make smoking less enjoyable thus making it easier to quit. With a strong determination and support from family and friends it would be easier for you to successfully quit smoking. You may also go for expert counseling and join support groups for help. Reversing of the physical damage sustained over 15 years can begin as soon as smoking ends. However it may take up to 15 years after quitting, for your risks (diseases of the lung, heart and cancer) to drop to normal and lead a healthy life as a normal man who has never smoked.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No