Wart removal by cryotherapy and complications

Patient

Q: 3 days ago my 9yr old grandson had warts removed by freezing on his fingers. He now has 2 reddish bumps that remind me of large red fruit snacks on his fingers. The doctor said this is normal but he can't move his fingers without pain is this really normal?

Doctor

A:   Damage to healthy tissue (i.e., cold burn to surrounding skin) is an inevitable outcome of cryosurgery for wart removal. However in some cases there is clearly potential of more extensive damage than what is desired. Usually the acute complication include headache, pain, and blister formation. I would advise that you see your doctor if the symptoms of pain get worse or if there is loss of sensation in the fingers.

Guest: i excoriate the skin on my face after criotherapy is that dangerous