Was I tested for STD'S when i went to the Doc?

Patient

Q: I went to the doctor because my throat was hurting for two weeks after my cold went away. He took a swab of my mouth and had it tested. Would he have tested that swab for STD? I didn't ask him to and i don't remember him telling me he was going to.

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The swabbing of your throat would have most likely been sent for laboratory testing for common causes of pharyngitis (sore throat). A common causative bacterium is streptococcus (strep throat). If you had asserted to your doctor that had unprotected sex of any kind, then your doctor would have conducted STD testing.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com