Water fast for women

Patient

Q: Hello..
The topic is about fitness buty question is about fertility so I apologise if I miscategorised this.
I am 19 years old female
Will water fasting for 25/14/7 days damage my hormone balance? Will it cut my period and ovulation? And if it does, for how long?
Thanks

Symptoms:  Possibility of diabetes and hormone disorder
Mild decrease in testosterone level
Bulimia (I think so)
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
When you are on water fasting for a longer period of time say for more than 72 hours, it should be done under the supervision of medical expert. For body detoxification it is a good therapy though. Stress and strain do have impact on the ovulation and may bring about irregularities in the menstrual cycle. The effect of this will vary from person to person and is an individual experience. Studies on the effects of water fasting extrapolated on to fertility & ovulation are limited. More studies need to be done to know the long term effects of water fasting on fertility.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day!