Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ways to A Healthy Heart: Supplements, Dietary and Lifestyle Changes

Ways to A Healthy Heart: Supplements, Dietary and Lifestyle Changes

Patient: What foods are recommended for reducing or reversing the plaque build up in my arteries. I am 46 male and smoke. I have not been to the doctor for any of this. I feel healthy. but a friend just had a heart attach. and he was healthy. So is there any thing I can do to reverse any build up there already? I have just finished the HCG diet(2nd time)and have lost 50 lbs. I have never been told that I have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Doctor: Antioxidants are famous for its beneficial effects on the heart and blood vessels. Vitamins A, C, and E are examples of antioxidants. Fruits and vegetables are also high sources of antioxidants. Berries (especially blackberries), celery, carrots are some examples. There are multivitamins (Centrum Cardio, Omega 3 supplements) which can help lower cholesterol levels and may help reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. These are only supplements though. May I ask if you have recently visited your doctor and if you have recent blood tests for cholesterol? If it has been over a year since your last blood test, you may request for another one. I commend you for the tremendous weight loss, good job! Keep it up. I would also suggest though you try cutting down on smoking. It has toxic effects on the blood vessels and the heart. It is also a risk for stroke. You may be aware that smoking is a risk factor for numerous cancers too. Supplements coupled with dietary and lifestyle changes can help greatly reduce the risk of heart attacks and stroke. I do hope this helps. Take care always.